The Newsletter Volume 28, Number 4 is avaialble now. The contents of the Newsletter are as follows:
- Message from the 28th President of AKPA
- Featured Article 1: New Frontiers in Atomically-Engineered Complex Oxides
- Featured Article 2: Rationale and benefit of a new force at TeV scale
- Report on the Physics Symposium of the UKC 2010
- Audit Report
- Solicitation of Nominees for AKPA OYRA 2011
- Election for the 30th AKPA President and Auditor
- Upcoming Events and Meetings
You are cordially invited to propose a chapter proposal for the Book on "Green IT: Technologies and Applications" to be published by Springer-Verlag and sponsored by KSEA. Topics include Green Communications, Green Computing, Regulations and Standards, and Innovative Applications. Please, see this for the details.
- Proposal Submission: November 15, 2010
- Full Chapter Submission: February 28, 2011
- Publication: June 20, 2011
The American Institute of Physics (AIP) seeks nominations for the $10,000 Prize for Industrial Applications of Physics. The AIP Prize is awarded for successful applications of physics to proven, innovative technologies. The contribution may be a product, a process, or a tool enabling practical application. Actual benefit to the employer is a significant criterion.
The nomination deadline is April 1, 2011. Nominations should include:
1. A cover letter providing a description of the work for which the nomination is being made, its commercial significance, and a draft citation.
2. Nominee's curriculum vita listing relevant publications and patents.
3. Letters of support (no more than four).
For the full details, please see this.
Candidates for the 29th AKPA President
Prof. Eun-Suk Seo
University of Maryland
We, Korean physicists in America, have diverse passions and goals because we are so different. However, we also have more in common than we might think. We love physics. Most of us left our Korean homeland and chose to live in America because of our love for Physics. The Association of Korean Physicists in America (AKPA) is where we can find our identity.
AKPA is unique and privileged to serve both Korean and American communities. It is where two continents can connect. It is where generations can connect. There is nothing I want more than to connect us. I want to tie us to one another to take on serious issues and give us a sense of responsibility to people outside of our own communities. Let's move forward together as one to create new knowledge in physics and to inspire the next generation. We lead the world in many ways, but we need to become more aware of developments, problems, and opportunities for Physics around the world.
I have served as the general and treasury secretary, and as a member of the E-link & OYRA committees for AKPA. My past service for AKPA as well as my service as the President-elect will prepare me to serve as the AKPA President, if I am elected. I have experience in leadership positions that span a number of dimensions at national and international levels. I am honored for being nominated as candidate for the AKPA Presidency, and I would welcome the opportunity to help Physics face its many challenges and opportunities.
Cosmic Ray Physics
Dr. Taik Soo Hahm
Principal Research Physicist
Princeton University, Plasma Physics Laboratory
It's my great honor to be nominated as a candidate for the AKPA President. After spending three decades in the United States as a physicist, I feel I should have made more effort in serving our Korean-American physicists community.
If I were selected to take this high responsibility, I'd try very hard to enhance the status and visibility of Korean-American physicists within American science community and in the joint events with physics community in Korea. In addition, I'll make an extra effort to help our younger generation in raising their interest in science careers.
I'm confident that many years' experience, in particular in promoting international research collaborations involving multi-institutions and in organizing major international conferences, will turn out to be very effective in this truly valuable pursuit.
Candidates for the Auditor
Dr. Pil-Neyo Seo
Following the Bylaws, the AKPA Election 2009 will elect the 29th president, whose term will start 2011, and the Auditor for the current (28th) staff. The president-elect will also join the current staff as the vice president as the Bylaw requires.
Ballots are out!!!
If you have not received an email with a ballet, please contact the Election Committee immediately!!!
Details on the election are described below. If there is any question/suggestions, please contact to the Election Committee (see below).
- August 7: Due for the nomination from the Nomination Committee.
- August 14: Due for the final list of candidates including from general members and announcement.
- August 15 - 21: Official election/campaign period.
- August 17 - 21: Vote (Ballots are out.)
- August 24: Announce the next/vice president and auditor elected.
Committees for Election 09
- Nomination Committee:
(NC Central), Chair, 919-530-6451
- Election Committee
(NC State), Chair, 919-600-0916
- Nomination committee searches for candidates for both positions.
- Any member (including general member) who is interested in either position or who likes to recommend someone(s) should contact to the Nomination (and/or Election) committee by August 10.
- Candidates should be a regular member by paying the membership fee ($25 check to Dr. In-Saeng Suh) by August 14.
- Official announcement of candidates will be made on August 14.
- The qualified voters would be the members as defined by the bylaws.
- To be a member for this election, the membership fee has to be paid by August 17. ($25 check to Dr. In-Saeng Suh)
- Each qualified voter will be notified before the election by an Email.
- Official election period is August 15-21.
- The Election Committee will make the information on each candidate available.
- During this period, candidates can contact to qualified voters regarding to the election.
- During this period, any voter asks question(s) related to this election to any/all candidate(s) by sending emails to the Election Committee. Election Committee will try to get responses from the candidate(s), which will be posted to all members and/or the questioner.
- Voting will be performed through Emails by the qualified members from August 17 to August 21.
- Details on the vote procedure will be announced later. - Ballots are out!!!
- The official closing time would be August 21, Midnight PDT, but earlier votes are encouraged.
- The result with the President-Elect and new Auditor will be announced on August 24.
- Any complaints related to the campaign/election have to be reported to the Election Committee, who will try to resolve them.
Page 5 of 7